Winter Storms – December 2008
As of this morning, there were 13 Red Cross shelters opened in 7 counties in Northeast New York.
Map of shelters located in Northeast New York:
With high winds expected to continue, power outages are expected to rise. Here are some safety tips for blackouts:
- Only use a flashlight for emergency lighting. Never use candles!
- Turn off electrical equipment you were using when the power went out.
- Avoid opening the refrigerator and freezer.
- Do not run a generator inside a home or garage.
- If you use a generator, connect the equipment you want to power directly to the outlets on the generator. Do not connect a generator to a home’s electrical system.
- Listen to local radio and television for updated information.