These photos are available for distribution. Please click the photo for caption and courtesy information.
Numbers are changing throughout the day as communications are restored and better numbers are called in. As ice melts people are able to leave their homes and go to a warming center or a place for a hot meal.
Please Note: This information does not include the shelter that was opened last night in Buffalo, New York.
- Total American Red Cross Managed and Partner shelters: 6
- Total population of American Red Cross Managed and Partner shelters: 73
Please see the breakdown below.
Kentucky 01/09 Ice Storms
- Total number of ARC Managed and Partner Shelters: 5
- Total Occupants at Midnight: 63
Oklahoma 2/09 Tornadoes
- Total number of ARC Managed and Partner Shelters: 1
- Total Occupants at Midnight: 10
Texas – Tornadoes touched down in a number of counties yesterday resulting in damage and leaving some homes and businesses without power.
- Numerous homes were damaged in Colleyville.
- A ten block section in Hamilton is without power and several homes and outer buildings had varying degrees of damages.
- In the city of Wylie in Collin County there were no reports of residential damage.
Red Cross teams will be out today to offer clean up kits and food to affected families.
Oklahoma – Several violent tornadoes touched down in the state resulting in damages and power outages yesterday.
- Early reports from Edmond show 20 homes were damaged and several businesses were destroyed in a shopping center.
- Early reports from Logan County show about 15 mobile homes damaged and 4 homes were damaged in Meridian.
- A touchdown in a mobile home park in Lone Grove resulted in a gas leak that resulted in the evacuation of about three hundred families.
The Red Cross had several shelters ready to assist people in need, and we served snacks and drinks to first responders. Teams will be going out today to assess the extent of damages.
- American Red Cross of Central Oklahoma
- American Red Cross of South Central Oklahoma